This past weekend (after recovering from the Girl Geek Dinner) we woke up to a sun that was blindingly bright and screamed “Springtime!” After another mild winter here in Italy, it’s a bit too much to hope that spring is already here, but for the weekend, we all believed it.
I walked around with only a light jacket and scarf and I couldn’t resist some spring pea pods when I saw them in the market. I felt like making something that was as green as it could be!
Spring Frittata with Peas, Leeks, and Zucchini
2 Leek “hearts”
1 small light zucchine
1 – 1 1/2 cups fresh-shelled peas
1/2c. Parmigiano Reggiano
Salt & Pepper
- To prepare the vegetables: slice the leek hearts thinly. Slice / rough chop the zucchini into “pezzetti,” little pieces.
- In a skillet or frying pan, cook the leeks until slightly translucent in some olive oil. Add the fresh peas, and cook until peas start to get soft / break apart. I wanted my zucchini to have a firmer/fresher feeling, so I cooked them for only 1-2 minutes before adding the eggs.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl, and mix thoroughly. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Grate parmigiano reggiano directly into the eggs, mix.
- Pour eggs into frying pan, over the vegetable mixture and let cook until the bottom starts to brown. Once the frittata is cooked solidly on one side, flip it over. You can use an extra plate to slide the frittata off, then inverting it back into the frying pan.
- Cook until the middle is well-cooked.
I am using leeks in my cooking almost as much as I use onions (and I love onions!) You may remember last year I made some homemade pappardelle pasta with leeks and gorgonzola sauce. Try the sauce, you might be surprised how well they go together.
Is it springtime where you are?