Spring Frittata with Peas, Leeks and Zucchini Recipe

March 4th, 2008 · Tags: Entree · Food · Holiday · Italy · Recipe · Work

This past weekend (after recovering from the Girl Geek Dinner) we woke up to a sun that was blindingly bright and screamed “Springtime!” After another mild winter here in Italy, it’s a bit too much to hope that spring is already here, but for the weekend, we all believed it.

I walked around with only a light jacket and scarf and I couldn’t resist some spring pea pods when I saw them in the market. I felt like making something that was as green as it could be!

Leeks, Peas and Zucchini ready for a Frittata

Spring Frittata with Peas, Leeks, and Zucchini

2 Leek “hearts”
1 small light zucchine
1 – 1 1/2 cups fresh-shelled peas
6 eggs
1/2c. Parmigiano Reggiano
Salt & Pepper

1. To prepare the vegetables: slice the leek hearts thinly. Slice / rough chop the zucchini into “pezzetti,” little pieces.
  2. In a skillet or frying pan, cook the leeks until slightly translucent in some olive oil. Add the fresh peas, and cook until peas start to get soft / break apart. I wanted my zucchini to have a firmer/fresher feeling, so I cooked them for only 1-2 minutes before adding the eggs.
  3. Crack the eggs into a small bowl, and mix thoroughly. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Grate parmigiano reggiano directly into the eggs, mix.
  4. Pour eggs into frying pan, over the vegetable mixture and let cook until the bottom starts to brown. Once the frittata is cooked solidly on one side, flip it over. You can use an extra plate to slide the frittata off, then inverting it back into the frying pan.
  5. Cook until the middle is well-cooked.

Spring Frittata with Peas, Leeks and Zucchini Recipe

I am using leeks in my cooking almost as much as I use onions (and I love onions!) You may remember last year I made some homemade pappardelle pasta with leeks and gorgonzola sauce. Try the sauce, you might be surprised how well they go together.

Deep inside the heart of a Leek

Is it springtime where you are?

Jessica, Italy Logue // Mar 4, 2008 at 10:47 am

We spent Sunday in Turin, where the weather was incredible – we walked around at the chocolate festival in T-shirts and were completely comfortable. Plus, the warmth had a great effect on the festival, making the air smell rather like chocolate. Mmmm…

Anne // Mar 4, 2008 at 10:51 am

Very cold here in the UK, no T-shirts for us yet!!!

Love the sound of the Frittata, will try this for lunch one day. Thanks for the great recipes xox

Patricia Scarpin // Mar 4, 2008 at 12:45 pm

Summer is coming to an end here in Brazil… I like fall, I have to admit it.

This frittata looks delish and I love the ingredients you used!

Christina // Mar 4, 2008 at 3:48 pm

I’ve come to terms with that I’ll have to read about other people enjoying spring. Personally — not so much. I could enjoy this frittata, though — it’s looks delicious.

sarah // Mar 4, 2008 at 4:01 pm

wow – gorgeous photography. love the bottom photo that looks right up through the leek

matt wright // Mar 4, 2008 at 9:36 pm

looks awesome, and very fresh! The mix of winter (leek) and spring (peas) is great.

Hillary // Mar 4, 2008 at 10:52 pm

I don’t typically enjoy peas, aside from pea soup, but this does look good!

nyc/caribbean ragazza // Mar 5, 2008 at 3:42 am

Yum! I hope your dinner went well.

Pasticcerra // Mar 5, 2008 at 10:07 am

This looks springy green and I bet a hint of fresh mint might go nicely with it also, either in the fritatta or as a salsa. I was in Torino on sunday also and it was incredible warm weather. today we have fresh snow on the ground, but it still feels like spring.

jen of a2eatwrite // Mar 5, 2008 at 12:57 pm

We are definitely NOT in spring mode. In fact, my ds is home for a snow day today. This recipe looks wonderful, though – those are three of my favorite things!

Joanna in the kithen // Mar 5, 2008 at 9:42 pm

I was just thinking about dinner options and this one is a fantastic one. I adore leeks and peas. Beautiful photo btw.

Jessica // Mar 6, 2008 at 12:25 am

Nice pictures! Looks tasty!

red // Mar 6, 2008 at 8:28 am

It was very springlike here in Rome on Sunday too. But now it’s raining and cold again.

FlaNboyantEats // Mar 6, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Lovely pics. I just glanced at leeks at the store the other day and yet again, passed on them! Spring is definitely making it’s impressing here in ATL so this is a nice way to enter it! :)

Ms. Adventures in Italy // Mar 6, 2008 at 6:32 pm

I definitely spoke too soon! It’s about 10 degrees cooler now. At least the beautiful weather was on the weekend!

I’ll keep looking at the green, though.

finnyknits // Apr 2, 2008 at 11:41 pm

My eyeballs have been having a feast catching up on your goings on. You’ve been so busy with the meatballs and the no-egg quiche (THANK YOU I HATE EGGS) and now this spring green business.

I love it.

Susan from Food Blogga // Apr 1, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I can’t wait for peas to arrive at the farmers’ market now. I am so making this frittata when they do. And I’m linking to it in my post on frittata today.

Yuriy // Jul 29, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Tried it this way (http://kitchen.galanter.net/2009/06/03/pasta-frittata-with-peas/) very very good!