Tour del Gelato: Grom in Torino

May 17th, 2007 · Tags: Blog Event · Food · Gelato · Italy · Piemonte · Tour del Gelato

I’m not able to keep up with myself! I left off a post about Berlin, Spoleto needs to be woken up, and I have many more! But I thought I would write about another stop on the Tour del Gelato because it’s timely.

Why timely? Recently, everyone has been talking about Grom in the U.S., since they just opened their first outpost outside Italy, in New York City. When I ate at Grom in Florence last fall (with the recommendation and accompaniment of Melinda), that was the inspiration and first post for the Tour del Gelato. So I felt it only right to revisit Grom in Torino since we were there yesterday.

This Grom location (Via Accademia delle Scienze, 4) was situated just steps away from Piazza Castello, one of the busiest piazzas in Torino (near the McDonald’s if you want an easy-to-remember landmark). Strangely, the map on their own website is wrong. Grom is on the other side of Via Cesare Battisti (here’s the correct map here) but don’t worry, you’ll see the line of people well before you have to ask for directions in that area.

Grom Gelato Line in Turin

Yes, there was a line! Much like NYC, Grom in Torino also had a line, though we waited only about 6-8 minutes.

From now on with Grom, I’m going to be focusing on their flavors more than anything. Each location, including the NYC one, receives i gusti del mese – the flavors of the month – from the central production plant. The look and feel of each location is strikingly similar – sunken, covered metallic gelato tubs behind a glass counter, the ice cream churning machines in view, and very little to no space inside to sit or eat. Take it to the streets! What changes, however, are the flavors from month to month, with some making regular appearances.

I gusti di Maggio - May Flavors at Grom

Coppetta (cup) or cono (cone)? Always a big decision, especially since I know there’s scientific proof you get more in one than the other, depending on the gelateria. We sampled a variety of flavors. My dad and his girlfriend both went for the Stracciatella, chocolate chip, and included a Nocciola, hazelnut on one and Cioccolato Fondente Extra Noir (Extra Dark Chocolate) on the other. I generally don’t like Stracciatella because the base flavor is usually bland and the chocolate also bland, but the Venezuelan chocolate chips gave it a bit more of a kick than usual. The Extra Dark Chocolate was good and more creamy than the fudgy Dark Chocolate at Chocolat in Milan.

Grom Gelato Time in Turin

My two flavors were Pistacchio (check out that brownish-green color!) and the Crema di Grom – a cream flavoured gelato with pieces of paste di meliga, a cookie from the Piemonte region made from white flour and cornmeal, and gocce di cioccolato (chocolate chips) from Ecuador. Yum! Sounds like their version of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream – Italian gelato style! They even distinguish the size of their gocce di cioccolato in the Stracciatella (chocolate chip) vs. the Crema di Grom (6mm vs. 3mm, respectively) Both of the nut flavors – nocciola and pistacchio were appropriately nutty and delicious (though pistacchio is my favorite).

Crema di Grom and Pistacchio

A curious thing about Grom in Torino – I figured everyone would know where it was. I asked a random sample of people (i.e., 4) for directions to (the nearest) Grom. Two younger women (early 20s) both said they had never heard of it. The other two, older ladies in their 40s, both immediately knew it and how to get there.

Curiouser and curiouser. Shall I continue the market research? Yes, please! Have a stop to add to the Tour del Gelato? I should make some gelato soon as well!

Grom www.grom.it
Via Accademia delle Scienze, 4, Torino – Tel. (+39) 011.5579095

Jill // May 17, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Is it too early to start working on “World Gelato Day”?

Mom

nyc/caribbean ragazza // May 17, 2007 at 2:13 pm

Are they going to open one in L.A.? Probably not.

I hate the fake Pinkberry crap (it’s a frozen “yougurt” from a mix) that is so popular here.

my melange // May 17, 2007 at 4:40 pm

Wow! I love gelato and this post and pic’s are making me crazy! I liove near NYC and I had no idea about GROM in NYC. You can bet I will sample some on my next visit to the city and will report back on my findings on my blog! Thanks for the info…..

Lorraine@italianfoodies // May 18, 2007 at 3:21 pm

Mmmmm gelato! Those pictures are making my mouth water! Bring on the summer holidays!!

JennDZ // May 18, 2007 at 5:28 pm

Hi Sara!

Those gelato dishes looked amazing!!!

I am so excited, because Roberto and I are going to Ft. Lauderdale this weekend and they have 3 gelaterias – so of course we are obligated to visit each one! So I sense that you will be getting another entry for The Tour Del Gelato, very soon! Stay tuned!

sandi @ the whistlestop cafe // May 19, 2007 at 2:31 pm

I’ve got my bags packed! I will follow along on the gelato tour…what’s next?

lieludalis // May 19, 2007 at 6:13 pm

Wait just a second here…which one do you get more in, the cono or the coppetta?! Haha! I haven’t been to Torino yet, but now this is on my list of stuff to see/do! Thanks!!

Pasticciera // May 20, 2007 at 3:08 pm

Glad you found Grom in Torino as it is a wonderful gelateria. I have one for you from Pinerolo, but haven’t been able to get any photos to go with the review, but will hopefully soon.

Shelley - At Home in Rome // May 22, 2007 at 5:30 pm

Nice addition to the TDG. I have to say that Grom’s sign is way more pleasing to the eye than Bar S. Calisto’s. Yikes. How do you say EYESORE in Italian? ;-)

Ms. Adventures in Italy // May 23, 2007 at 2:46 pm

World Gelato day….that sounds like a good idea!!
    @nyc, I bet it’s more probable than you think!
    @mymelange – I look forward to your findings!
    @Lorraine, any stops to add?
    @Jenn – thanks for your stops, I love them!
    @sandi, you tell me! have one to suggest?
    @lieudalis – we should compare lists. :)
    @Pasticciera – you have to start toting that camera around with you!
    @shelley – eyesore…mmm….mostruoso?

ParisBreakfasts // Jul 18, 2007 at 5:18 pm

I can never read enough about gelato..
    Though eating it is the better route to go.
    Wonderful picture!
    I was not at all unhappy with New York Grom.
    They even gave it away the opening day!

growitgreen // Jul 18, 2008 at 1:54 pm

I love gelato, but it is difficult to find a shop that makes it in my small town in S.C. so, I have to make it myself when I get a craving. I appreciate all of the recipes I can get my hands on. Check out this “cool” article about gelato at http://www.foodista.com

Jeanie MH // Sep 8, 2008 at 9:42 pm

I guess Torino must be the gelato capital in Italy. I was there for the 2006 Winter Olympics and I was treated to the best gelato I ever had, not at Grom really who is a newcomer more with the ancient Fiorrios’ and one undistinguished cafè called Mirezzi or something similar. I am actually a gelato addict and I have similar memories from this summer holiday in Paris with a small chic Gelateria in the Marais called Pozzetto as rightly indicated by David Leibovitz as the best in town. Wonderful chocolate hazelnut (Janduja?) and sherbets of real fresh seasonal fruit such as watermelon. Go and check it out if you happen to be around there

Daniel Phelps // Nov 27, 2009 at 12:06 pm

You only went to Grom in Torino!!! For shame! There are MANY gelato places that easily rival it: Rivareno (try their Alice), Ciacci, Caffe Fiorio, Siculo, and Caffe Musyaf. I’ll take you around myself if you ever return, I’m a bit obsessed with Gelato! (Chocolat in Milan is still my fave)

Ms. Adventures in Italy // Nov 27, 2009 at 12:14 pm

I’ve also eaten the gelato at Eataly – it’s excellent. I’ll have to get to Torino more often.

Lorin // Feb 15, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I was studying abroad in Torino for four months from september-december of last year. I went to Grom a few times, definitely like it. There’s also a gelato romana that is really good off of XVII Decembre metro stop.