Macaroni & Cheese & Cheese & Cheese

PhotoHunt

Grab the Scavenger Hunt code.
Photo Theme. Join the blogroll. Visit participants.
This week�s theme is Memory.

Mac & Cheese & Cheese & Cheese

Memory.

How many people can see a picture of macaroni & cheese and not have it evoke some memory? Not anyone I grew up with. This is possibly the quintessential American dish that nearly everyone in the country has eaten. Love it or hate it, it’s part of my memories.

Also today, Seriously Goodis holding a Mac-n-Cheese-off and I was happy to be able to participate even without my trusty camera. My solution to this? Invite a friend over to share my creation and share her camera! Luckily for me, she was a great sport and agreed and I got to try out a very powerful camera in exchange for brainwashing her with one of my favorite comfort foods.

For this macaroni & cheese concoction, I decided to not stop just at one cheese, but use three! I actually am lucky enough to have in my possession a big block of medium sharp Wisconsin cheddar from the States that I smuggled over in August, and finally decided it was time to break the seal and open it. What better way to use cheddar cheese if not in macaroni & cheese?

I could get lost in this cheesy goodness. Heck, I’m even a fan of that blue box.

Hypnotized by Cheese

But I didn’t stop there. I wanted to include a bit of my local influences here (and save the cheddar!) and that meant adding some ricotta cheese as well as using some Grana Padano and topped it off with some bread crumbs.

I think there’s something to remember with macaroni & cheese – you can never have it cheesy enough! Against my better judgment, I stopped adding cheese much too early in the game! I could tell my friend was getting a little nervous about the butter, the milk and the three cheeses I had already added. It still turned out great and I laid a few extra shavings of cheddar on top to “garnish.”

Oven-baked mac-n-cheese

New year, new people to meet! Are you stopping by for the first time? Leave me a note!

Comments

1. says

Hehe… a cheesy post :D Macaroni and cheese isn’t a dish that the Finns actually use. We have macaroni casserole – pasta, fried, minced meat covered with a mixture of milk and some eggs and then baked. Add ketchup and voil

2. says

Ah…I love that you used smuggled cheese in your concoction! The pictures look fabulous, and it sounds like a fun evening of cooking and photography. Glad to meet you via your blog, and thanks for sharing your version of this delicious dish!

Genie

3. says

Hello Ms Adventures. I’m checking you out for the first time, oh yeah……oh wait, you said stopping by, sorry. Anyway, your dish looks de-lish. May I ask, what we’re you’re proportions of cheeses? You see, whenever I use ricotta, I either have to make/buy twice as much as the recipe needs because I’ll eat so much while groovin’ in the kitchen. I’ll bookmark you and start reading……..

4. says

Good old macaroni and cheese!
    The fast food of mother’s in the 50′s! *S*
    Thanks for bringing back my old memories!
    Great choice for the theme.
    Happy Saturday!
    Mine’s up too.
    L

5. Ms. Adventures in Italy says

Kevin, thanks for organizing! Eija, that sounds really interesting -something to try! :) Genie, don’t tell the dogana (customs) – but they are pretty lax anyway. Welcome, Lannae!

D-man, like I said I think it could have used more cheese, but I used about 8 oz of cheddar, 150g of ricotta and about 100g of Grana Padano, with a few tablespoons of butter, and I added milk as needed.

Piccola, yes, I did put it in the oven and I put some breadcrumbs on top.

Di, welcome! Jackie, you’re back! Let’s see what you got! LibertyBelle, thanks for stopping by!

6. Tendancer says

Hi there Sara–have been reading your blog for a while–it’s on my short list of things on my blogroll that get read immediately, which is saying something because I have a large and unwieldy number of subscriptions and some stuff doesn’t get read for weeks. :-) Anyway, Happy New Year, and I’ll look forward to more great stuff from you.

7. Ms. Adventures in Italy says

Stacie, I’m jealous! Here, we’ve already finished my batch. Tendancer, nice to meet you! I’m glad you’re reading! Teena, as you noticed above with my “blue box” comment, I definitely embrace the Kraft mac’n’cheese – with a little salsa it’s “Mac & Crack” as my friends say.

Ciao La Cubana – I didn’t put up a recipe as I was really experimenting and I wasn’t completely satisfied with the cheesiness – I explained some of my proportions earlier in the comments!

8. Lieludalis says

Yeaaaa! Mac&Cheese was a minor food obsession in my family growing up! The first time I made my husband (who grew up in a state smack in the center of the US) home made Mac&Cheese he almost passed out from JOY…he’d only ever had it made from a blue box! Shocking if you ask me! Anyone out there who has never had scratch mac&cheese should make some immediately!
    Thanks for the memories!
    PS:We like to add green peas and use Barilla Plus (protein power!)pasta in our version!

9. says

That looks like the perfect mac-n-cheese. My leftovers from my effort are gone–and now I’m hungry again looking at yours! And you get to eat it in Italy! You have it all! :):)

10. says

I’m quite surprised actually that we didn’t copy this in Sweden at all. It’s simple and good. Instead we have a kind of stewed mac’s and at the side Falukorv (Swedish sausage) with tomato sauce which every kid loves.

11. says

I didn’t like mac and cheese as a kid. I was goofy that way.
    I’m cooking up a new Tour del Gelato stop for you. From a most unlikely place! It should be ready tomorrow. Also I can’t wait to find out if I won anything of the Food for Hope thing!!!!!!

Jeffo

12. Ms. Adventures in Italy says

Lieudalis, peas are good – or try ground beef + corn OR salsa + olives for my two fav variations. Shelley, if you come up in the next week or so (until the cheese runs out) I’ll make you some! Nicole, I’m getting hungry again, too! Sher, yours looked AMAZING!!! Thanks for sharing! Beth, where are your pics and RECIPE? Cookiecrumb, thanks for your vote. Mrs – yours sounds interesting – what does Swedish sausage taste like?

Jeffo – I am very excited for your next entry! I have one ready as well!

13. says

That looks so good! I want to make some now!!! I am going to London next week and I plan on bringing back lots of cheddar. When I don’t have cheddar I make mac n’ cheese with a beschamel sauce and parmigian. Not too bad, actually. But nothing compares to good ol’ cheddar!

14. says

I lost the link to you when my blogger blog died. Your blog has really become a goldmine of ideas and energy. Congratulations!
    Some of the links aren’t opening for me, but it’s probably the )(=? dialup.
    Ciao, bimba,