If you get my newsletter, you saw that I mentioned July is a big month for me.
A big reason why is it marks my 10th anniversary of arriving in Italy. And 10 years that I’ve had this blog.
If you look at my archives, though, you’ll see that they only go back to sometime in 2005, but in reality there are a few more years of posts which I wrote upon my departure to Italy. Back then, even though WordPress was only 2 months old at that time (Happy 10th to you, too!), and Blogger was a few years old and was gaining popularity, blogging wasn’t super popular, so I just hand-coded the HTML for my website, and simulated a blog. I put my latest post up top and broke my archive pages into months. The site lived first on a subdomain of sararosso.com, then blog.sararosso.com, and then I moved it here to Ms. Adventures in Italy.
At first it was just a way for me to stay in contact with my family and friends. There was no Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram (all things I use now) and since I rarely had an internet connection, it was email or nothing. I would find an internet cafe and just say what happened that day instead of a mass email, and post a few photos if I could. Then I started getting more visitors as I started settling into life here and sharing some of the delicious things I was eating, beautiful things I was seeing, and observations about being in a different culture. Traffic grew, and I moved those earlier posts to private since they were a bit of out snyc with the rest of the site’s content.
Back then, I don’t think I ever thought I would still be in Italy 10 years later (that’s me in the picture, in 2003). Or that I would still enjoy publishing on this site. Both things are still incredibly true today. And I feel lucky to have had a great 10 years of memories, experiences, and people reading and sharing their own experiences with me. I’ve met some really great people through blogging, and especially here in Italy. So I feel like I’m celebrating two anniversaries, really, and I’m happy that my site has always been with me through these interesting times.
So this July is special. And I’m going to stretch out the celebration all month. I hope you’ll want to hang out with me!
Here’s what I have planned this month:
- Ask Me Anything: Italy edition – July 10th. No holds barred – if you’ve been holding back your Italy questions, this will be your time! I’ll be answering questions all day long in the comments of the post I’ll publish that day.
- Unseen Italy moments. Holy extensive photo archives which I haven’t published yet! I’m going to dig deep and share a few things I haven’t had the chance yet to share.
- My Bucket List for Italy. Some of my own remaining bucket items, but some essential & quick lists for you which will help with any upcoming trips :)
- Looking back. Some posts you might have missed, some which need updates…it will be fun looking back.
- 10th Anniversary Giveaway – July 18th. I haven’t done a giveaway in quite a while, and what better time than now? Watch this site on July 18th for information on that.
Anything you’d like me to post about? I can’t be sure I’ll have time for everything, but it never hurts to ask! And remember that I’ll be answering your food-travel-culture-curiosity questions about Italy on July 10th.
You won’t want to miss anything, so make sure you follow me on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook, and sign up to receive posts via email. And don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter – I’ll have a special treat just for them as well.
And a special note – if you’re reading me today in Google Reader – it’s shutting down today, July 1st! You should migrate over to another service. I like Feedly but others have mentioned Blog Lovin’ and The Old Reader as alternatives, and you can always sign up to receive Ms. Adventures in Italy posts via email.