Gelato and Hot Chocolate: a Chocolat double-header

Yesterday I met with a longtime blog reader & fellow food blogger who was in town for business in Milan (I love it when that happens!) – she asked me to recommend some gelaterie but I did one better and joined her for a gelato close to where she was staying, at Chocolat near Cadorna station. (Check it out on my Tour del Gelato)

Pistachio, cinnamon and hazelnute chocolate gelato at Chocolat, Milano

Two medium coppette di gelato at Chocolat, Milano

And just because we could, and we’re in that funky period where both gelato and cioccolata calda, hot chocolate, are both acceptable and desirable, we ordered a cioccolata fondente con panna – dark hot chocolate with whipped cream. Delicious.(Ok, so we didn’t finish the hot chocolate, but we tried).

Hot chocolate, cioccolata calda at Chocolat, Milan

Then I was in a sugar coma for the rest of the evening.

Would you have gone for a double-header? Gelato and hot chocolate, or two gelati or two hot chocolate?

Comments

1. says

Yes. Affogato style with hazelnut gelato. This was the first thing I couldn’t wait to share with my friend who came to visit me in Florence last year – I hadn’t seen her for 25 years and this reminds me of that awesome reunion with her. Just a small fondente with gelato, but you can never go back to regular hot coco powder in the US once you do this. Thank you for the photos – a ‘sweet’ reminder of the good things in life.

2. Ms. Adventures in Italy says

@Joanne – you’re the best mom :)

@Valerie – a little too cold for affogato for me, but I love it, too!

3. Artemis says

Un espresso gelato con un doppio espresso. Non ci può mai essere abbastanza caffè espresso per me. Il mio motto è tutti i caffè espresso tutto il tempo. :D

4. Joanne says

It sounds wonderful! We are still under 5 feet of snow here is Canada so I would definately go for the double hot chocolate with extra whipped cream.

5. Kristen says

OH, I LOOOOOVE this gelateria in Milano!! It was 2007 when we were there but I can still taste the cioccolato arancia. I would be in so much trouble if I lived in Milano. Yummmmm!

6. says

I would definitely have gone for the cioccolata fondente con panna – dark hot chocolate with whipped cream and saved the gelato for warmer weather. It must be quite cold there in Milan this time of year, so yeah, just the hot chocolate and definitely the dark chocolate. How fun to have met up with another fellow food blogger. I hope I get that opportunity down here in Tepoztlan, Mexico.

7. says

It was so fun to meet you! Also love that we could both agree that having both gelato and hot chocolate was an acceptable idea. :) Next time, affogato!

8. says

@Joanne: my mum allowed us to eat fast food hamburgers as a special after dentist treat (fast food hamburgers in Milan in the eighties, if you were a little kid, were the coolest thing ever) and our daddy brought us special ice cream in the evening.

By the way, I love this gelateria too, but never had their hot chocolate. When it was cold I always got gelato cravings for some reason. Weird me, I know.

For those interested: the very special gelateria my dad treated us with still exists, it is in Piazza Cinque Giornate, Gelateria Umberto: it is still excellent, expensive and almost always closed. A true milanese experience :)

9. says

OMG!!!
    I would go in an instant if I could…
    I will be in Venice in March if all goes as planned
    Would that they had a branch there…
    I can not live without my daily hot chocolate…