Nutella & Mascarpone Cream Chocolate Tarts Recipe for World Nutella Day

February 5th, 2010 · Tags: Blog Event · Chocolate · Dessert · Food · Nutella Day · Recipe

It’s that time once again! Happy World Nutella Day!

It’s our 4th year celebrating and every year we’re surprised by the level of excitement and participation – be sure to head over to www.nutelladay.com to see what’s happening around the globe! Be sure to come back here and Bleeding Espresso.com on Monday, February 8th for the round-up.

You can also see my recipes for past World Nutella Days like Hazelnut Macarons with Spicy Nut Centers or Nutella Mousse, Cupcakes and Clusters.

This year I was craving little tarts…little chocolate tarts…filled with Nutella, and just in case it wasn’t rich enough for you, mixed generously with mascarpone so that biting into one feels like eating the inside of a Lindt Lindor truffle – you know those truffles with an inside that melts? That’s what this is.

I suggest mixing it up with some salted nuts, too, to contrast and make it oh, so, sweeter.

Nutella & Mascarpone Cream Chocolate Tarts for World Nutella Day 2010

Nutella & Mascarpone Cream Chocolate Tarts Recipe

Note: this is close to a pate brisee or pasta frolla recipe, with the addition of the cacao powder. You are welcome to make this with a food processor, but it’s important that the mixture is not overmixed or heated up too much as the butter will melt. Try handling it as little as possible. Also, I used mini tart pans, so be sure to roll out your dough to fit your pan.

For the Chocolate Crust
170g flour
30g cacao/cocoa powder
100g cold butter, in small cubes
66g sugar
1 egg and 1 yolk
1 pinch salt

1. Cut the butter pieces into the flour and cocoa mix with a pastry cutter or use your fingers to create the consistency of large crumbs. You don’t want the butter to get too warm and start to melt, so work quickly.
  2. Make a well in the middle of the crumb mix and add the egg and extra yolk. Continue cutting the mixture until the egg has been incorporated and distributed. With your hands, start to form a single mass – if the mixture is too crumbly you can add a small amount of cold/ice water and mix that in. You don’t want to work the dough too much.
  3. Flatten it into a disk and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
  4. Remove the dough from the plastic wrap and preheat your oven to 350F (175 C). On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough with a rolling pin, being careful not to add too much flour as it will change the composition of the dough. Roll it out until it’s between a 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick (around 1cm).
  5. Depending on what pan size you’re using, you’ll want to cut the dough to fit or try to fold it in and fix it with your fingers. You’ll want it to come up the sides of the pan evenly, and I like a little to peek above the top of the pan. Otherwise you can put it just even with the pan top.
  6. Next, we’re going to blind bake them – cut out a piece of parchment paper larger than the tart pan, enough so that it sticks up above the pan edges, so you can remove it easily later, and fill the center with dried beans or lentils that will help keep the crust from rising and deforming.
  7. For small tarts, bake 8-10 minutes, keeping a close eye on them that they don’t burn. Remove the pie weight and return the tarts to the oven for several minutes (3-4). Remove the tarts and let cool completely before filling.
  8. Blind Baking Chocolate Tarts for World Nutella Day 2010

For the Nutella & Mascarpone Cream Filling

Start with a 1:1 mixture of Nutella:Mascarpone. In this recipe I used roughly 125g of Nutella with 125g Mascarpone. I whipped the Nutella for a minute or so with an electronic (whisk) mixer so it would incorporate easier with mascarpone. Mix in the mascarpone and mix for a few seconds until completely mix. Taste, a little, to see if you want to add more Nutella at this point, or more mascarpone.

Refrigerate the mixture for 20-30 minutes, then fill the tarts just before serving, so the crust stays crisp and the filling stays cool. The tarts can be refrigerated after filling, but the crust will lose the snap so it’s best to serve them the same day.

To contrast nicely with the Nutella flavor, I recommend chopping up some salted pistachios or peanuts and sprinkle them on top, or add a little filling to the tartlette, then a layer of chopped nuts, and then the rest of the cream on top.

Nutella & Mascarpone Cream Chocolate Tarts Close-up for World Nutella Day 2010

Did you make something for World Nutella Day?

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso // Feb 5, 2010 at 9:48 am

Hard to believe there could be a cuter Nutella creation…these are adorable! And delicious I’m sure :) Buon WND ’10!

joanne at frutto della passione // Feb 5, 2010 at 10:56 am

I did! I did! I did a Nutella/Mascarpone combo too! These tarts look fab, I’ll try them for Valentine’s Day!

nyc/caribbean ragazza // Feb 5, 2010 at 11:43 am

Wow!!

I have never had Nutella/Mascarpone together. Must fix that situation immediately.

Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite // Feb 5, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I did! I made a marbled nutella cheesecake! I love the look of these though – beautiful and scrumptious!

Andrea Meyers // Feb 5, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I adore those Lindor truffles and the idea for your tarts. They look so decadent!

sunflowers8 // Feb 5, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Mamma che bontà, grazie a te ho scoperto che oggi era la giornata giusta per postare una ricetta con la Nutella ^___^ anche le tue tartine non sono niente male, bravissima!
    Sonia

The Food Hunter // Feb 5, 2010 at 4:16 pm

These look fabulous! I wish I could reach through the screen and grab myself one. Happy World Nutella Day!

chris // Feb 5, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I wouldn’t have any self control with these! :)

Paula - bell'alimento // Feb 5, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Buon World Nutella Day! Ma che buoni! I’m drooling! Of course being the Nutella Nut that I am, I made Chocolate Nutella Molten Lava Cakes! Baci e’ buon weekend!

Marla // Feb 5, 2010 at 7:15 pm

These look oh so decadent and a must try!

tcalo // Feb 5, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I did too!!!! I prepared Liquore alla Nutella (Liquor of Nutella), and I am enjoying really much this Nutella Day!!! I never thought so many things could be done with nutella!!!!
    Tanti Saluti!
    t.

Chris MarcheseBolmeier // Feb 5, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Oh this is too yummy, I must try it for Valentines day or any day!!!!!

anna l'americana // Feb 6, 2010 at 12:09 am

Oh, boy, my nemesis, pie crust….You are so brave Sara – the things you tackle in the kitchen with such abandon are astounding….macarons, and now this? I thought I was full of Nutella already for the day, but now I’m thinking there could be room for 1 or 6 of these puppies…..

Camels & Chocolate // Feb 6, 2010 at 4:39 am

WHOA. Must. Make. Soon.

annearnott1 // Feb 6, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Delicious!! You have had some great recipes on different blogs for the Nutella day..:-) need to read some more.

Susan @ SGCC // Feb 6, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Holy Hazelnuts! These little tartelettes look divine! I don’t know if I could even bother to wait for the shells. I’ll just make the filling and grab a spoon! :D

sugar plum // Feb 7, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Fantastic….am so craving chocolate now(jus whopped into the kitchen n am back with a spoonfull of nutella and lemon curd…delightfu;ll)
    U have an amazing blog….beats me how i missed world nutella day…and me did make a few truffles….am going to drool over the rest of ur blog now….did someday jus say lindor truffles….where where …….:-))))

Adri // Feb 7, 2010 at 9:14 pm

I seems sooooooooo delicious! Everything goes fine with Nutella, I guess!
    I had such a great time at #Nutella Day and I must thank you for that!
    Kisses from Brazil

Kristen Theologus // Jan 8, 2011 at 4:01 am

I have to make these this weekend! Yummmm!

Magpie // Feb 6, 2011 at 3:09 pm

These look awesome! I made the Nutella Brownies! so Yum!

Maria Delgado // Feb 7, 2011 at 5:00 pm

These look beautiful!

Susan // Jun 13, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I ran across your recipe when I was searching for things to make with mascarpone. I made these for some friends this weekend, topped with fresh strawberries, and everyone loved them! Thanks :)

Ms. Adventures in Italy // Jun 15, 2011 at 2:33 pm

@Susan – that’s great :) I’ll have to try fresh fruit in these tarts – I was stuck on nuts…drool.