Last year after being the Europe host for Menu for Hope bid items, I really gained an appreciation for how much work it takes to pull off something of such a global proportion. I’m so happy to take part again and offer you some great bid items!
What is Menu for Hope?
Menu for Hope is an annual fundraising campaign hosted by Chez Pim and a revolving group of food bloggers around the world. Five years ago, the devastating tsunami in Southeast Asia inspired her to find a way to help, and the very first Menu for Hope was born. The campaign has since become a yearly affair. For the past three years, Menu for Hope raised nearly a quarter of million dollars in support of the good work of the UN World Food Programme, helping to feed hungry people worldwide.
This year, we are supporting a new initiative at the WFP called Purchase for Progress (P4P). P4P enables smallholder and low-income farmers to supply food to WFP’s global operation. P4P helps farmers improves farming practices and puts more cash directly into their pockets in return for their crops. This will also help buoy local economy by creating jobs and income locally. We food bloggers understand the importance of buying locally and supporting our local farms, P4P helps do the same for farmers in low income countries around the world. More on P4P at http://www.wfp.org/purchase-progress.
How Can You Help?
Easy! Just buy as many $10 “tickets” for bid items offered by bloggers as you can, and 100% of the money goes directly to the WFP Purchase for Progress! Bidding takes place from today, December 14th until December 25th! A donation also makes a great present for someone, and they could win something!
Here are the other Menu for Hope bid item lists – note that most of the items will ship worldwide, so visit all of them!
- Europe and UK bloggers’ items hosted by David Lebovitz
- US East Coast bloggers’ items hosted by Tartelette
- USA: West Coast hosted by Gluten Free Girl
- Canadian bloggers’ items hosted by Seven Spoons
- Wine bloggers’ items hosted by Vinography
- Asia Pacific hosted by Ed of Tomatom
Below are details about my own bid items and how to make a donation- read on!
For the past 3 years I’ve contributed a basket of Italian goodies but this year I thought I’d do something different – a basket of all Italian chocolate! Italy has some great chocolate makers and especially some great flavor combinations I think you’ll all enjoy. In fact, I recommend having a chocolate tasting party at your house and getting creative in the kitchen with the basket.
Some of the names are very famous and others are small chocolate makers – but you’ll love them all! I will ship this fabulous mix WORLDWIDE.
- Amadei Toscano Black 70% dark chocolate (50g) [Tuscany]
- Amadei 9 75% dark chocolate (50g) [Tuscany]
- Amadei Toscano Brown milk chocolate (50g) [Tuscany]
- Amadei Toscano Nut Brown gianduja hazelnut chocolate (50g) [Tuscany]
- La Molina white chocolate bar (75g) [Tuscany]
- Slitti 90% dark chocolate (100g) [Tuscany]
- 3 Bars Quetzal Fair Trade Modica Chocolate – Cinnamon, Pistachio, Almond flavors (60g each) [Sicily]
- T’a Limone di Sorrento – 66% cacao with lemons from Sorrento (50g) [Lombardy]
- T’a Pepe Giapponese – 66% cacao with Japanese pepper (50g) [Lombardy]
- La Perla Dark Chocolate with Puffed Farro (120g) [Lazio]
- La Perla Dark Chocolate with Hot Pepper (130g) [Lazio]
- La Dolce Vita 71% dark chocolate with Coffee (50g) [Lombardy]
- La Dolce Vita Milk chocolate and Olive Oil (50g) [Lombardy]
- Le Coloniali di Dolce e Amaro – Fennel and Juniper chocolate bar (100g) [Piedmont]
- Novi 72% dark chocolate (100g) [Piedmont]
- 2 Bars Perla dell’Etna Modica chocolate – Hot Pepper, Citrus flavors (100g each) [Sicily]
- 4 Bars Maestri del Cioccolato: Fondente 71% with mint [Piedmont], Milk chocolate with Chestnut Honey [Veneto], White chocolate with blueberries [Piedmont], Gianduja Extra (hazelnut chocolate) [Piedmont] (75g each)
- Novi Block Cioccolato Fondente Extra (great for cooking!) dark chocolate (50%) – (500g) [Piedmont]
That’s more than 2 kilos of chocolate – that’s 4.5 pounds of chocolate for tasting and baking! To bid for this item, make sure you remember the item code: EU01!
Note: The photo above, graciously provided by David Lebovitz, is not indicative of the basket or its contents.
Bid Item EU38: Mega Mix of Moleskine Notebooks
I have gotten to know, professionally and personally, Moleskine (headquartered here in Milan) and I am proud to be able to offer you a bid item directly from Moleskine corporate! They will ship this amazing mix of 20 different types of Moleskine anywhere in the world.
- Set of 2 Volant Notebooks Plain – Red – Extra Small
- Set of 2 Volant Notebooks Ruled – Sky Blue – Extra Small
- Volant Address Book – Blue – Pocket
- Set of 2 Volant Notebooks Ruled – Green – Pocket
- Plain Soft Notebook – Pocket
- Ruled Notebook – Pocket
- Memo Pockets – Large
- Plain Reporter Notebook – Large
- Set of 3 Ruled Cahier Journals – Red – Large
- Address Book – Large
- Set of 2 Volant Notebooks Plain – Pink – Large
- Set of 3 Squared Cahier Journals – Navy Blue – Extra Large
- 12 month – Artist Collection – Daily Planner – Black leather cover – Large
- 12 month – Artist Collection – Weekly Planner – Red leather cover – Pocket
Thank you so much to Moleskine for donating these items! To bid for this item, make sure you use the code EU38!
How to Bid for a Bid Item
Here’s what you need to do – remember the numbers of my bid items! EU01 (Chocolate Basket) and EU38 (Moleskine Mega mix)!!
- Choose a bid item from Full List of Bid Items at Chez Pim, or the regional European list at David Lebovitz.
- Go to the donation site at Firstgiving and make a donation.
- Please specify which bid item you’d like in the ‘Personal Message’ section in the donation form when confirming your donation. You must write-in how many tickets per bid item, and please use the bid item code.Each $10 you donate will give you one raffle ticket toward a bid item of your choice. For example, a donation of $50 is 5 tickets and be divided into 2 tickets for EU01 and 3 tickets for EU38 – 2xEU01, 3xEU38.
- If your company matches your charity donation, please check the box and fill in the information so we could claim the corporate match.
- Please check the box to allow us to see your email address so that we can contact you in case you win. Your email address will not be shared with anyone.
The last day for donations is December 25.
Bid item winners will be announced on Chez Pim on January 18th.