A Weekend Vacation in Paris, France

December 2nd, 2009 · Tags: France · Travels Abroad

A little getaway in Paris, France to hang with best friends is the best kind of vacation one can get. I get spoiled especially when my friends come to me – after all one can only take so many vacations a year to destinations 5,000 miles away.

It’s already December! I can’t believe how fast 2009 is going. It’s time to rush and complete those New Year’s resolutions, buy holiday gifts if you’re into that, and plan where you’ll hopefully spend New Year’s, right?

After this weekend. After I stop thinking about Paris and looking at my photos and start posting them instead of just enjoying a private slideshow at home. After I eat the macarons I have stashed in my suitcase, and the dark chocolate caramel in its silver wrapper, too.

Paris is one of my favorite cities. It’s no surprise, really, as it’s definitely a crowd pleaser. I didn’t want to like Paris, though, the first time I went there 10 years ago. I wanted, somehow, to be able to say “Paris is not for me.”

But it most definitely is. For someone as curious as I am, Paris is a city that constantly manages to surprise and satisfy visually, emotionally, and gastronomically.
I love the cafès and the metro. Using only public transportation for 6 years means I get excited when I take other cities’ systems for a spin.

Cafès and the Metro, Paris, France

I spent some time trying to capture some of the moments I saw – many involving people. I’m much more comfortable with still life which is why I’ve been pushing myself to take more pictures of people, and in a way that doesn’t intrude too much on their own moments.

What suggestions do you have for taking pictures of people and capturing moments without ruining them?
Coffee, cigarettes, cool shoes and your best friend(s): what more could you want?

Coffee, cigarettes, cool shoes and your best friend: Paris, France

Vin chaud: Mulled / spiced hot wine with cinnamon and/or oranges is a great way to warm your insides when you’re freezing in the brisk weather – I actually drank a lot of this, ok I drank a lot this weekend – wine, vin chaud, microbrewery beer, tequila (that’s another story). All in the name of keeping warm and braving the cold outside all day. It’s a must!

Vin Chaud - Mulled wine in Paris, France

I had fun chasing the fashion choices I saw around Paris: we called it “fashion individuel” which I’m sure is not correct French (anyone?) but we sure had fun saying it.

Fashion individuel in Paris, France

Wherever there are luxury and riches, there will always be a contrast to remind you to appreciate how much you have yourself. The Champs Élysées is no different.

The Champs Elysees is not luxury for everyone, Paris, France

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas – luckily we got there when Christmas started to arrive, too. December is not much different than January in terms of weather, but January is much more depressing when all the decorations come down.

Christmas Tree in Paris, France

An easy way to bring some holiday cheer into the metropolitan / subway is to bring an actual Christmas tree with you

Bringing home a Christmas tree on the Paris Metro, France

Navigating Paris can be exhiliarating and exhausting – so much walking, even just taking the public transportation everywhere. This kid had the right idea.

Navigating Paris, France

The Batmobile – everyone needs a getaway mobile! I’ll take this Vespa any day.

Batmobile Orange Vespa in Paris, France

Nighttime falls on Paris, France – a view from Sacre Coeur Church

Nighttime falls on Paris, France - a view from Sacre Coeur Church

I’m not done with Paris…..et vous?

Laurel // Dec 2, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Beautiful photos! You really captured Paris. I’m not done with it either, I could go back a million times and never tire of wandering its streets.

Tina // Dec 2, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I love Paris so, so, so, so much. Great pictures!

Jaime // Dec 2, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Great photos- j’adore Paris! That little tree is adorable too.

Erin :: The Olive Notes // Dec 2, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Great recap Sara! We really like Paris too.

About your photographing people more, I have the same issue. I always feel intrusive or something, but when I look at people’s photos where they focused on the people of a place, they’re so much more intriguing. I need to get better at that as well.

anne // Dec 2, 2009 at 6:03 pm

I am like you…i am not done with Paris either, lots more for me to see, and take in, and see my wonderful friends there. I went twice this year and met bloggers, and the second time to CAT sit for a friend ..!!

I love your photos too :-)

nyc/caribbean ragazza // Dec 2, 2009 at 6:28 pm

fantastic photos!!

Like you I don’t feel comfortable taking photos of people.

morena // Dec 2, 2009 at 7:12 pm

I love Paris, too.
    Re the right way to express the “fashion individuel” thing in French, you could either say
    “la mode individuelle” or “la mode selon moi”

Andrea Meyers // Dec 2, 2009 at 8:19 pm

My last trip to Paris was so many years ago and your beautiful photos have me longing for the city again.

Andi // Dec 3, 2009 at 3:31 am

I just returned yesterday from my second trip this year. I go at least once a year and adore it. I can get tired of it past 5 days, but I am certain that my love affair with Paris will last a lifetime! Awesome photos!

cjlk@yahoo.com // Dec 3, 2009 at 1:08 pm

You captured the essence of Paris….and the French!
    Takes me back…I have been to Paris twice!

Laura from Ciao Amalfi // Dec 3, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Ciao Sara! Lovely lovely photos! I am going to Paris for the first time next month. I’m really excited! I’m not sure what to expect as far as whether the city is for me or not. I like that … not know what to expect! I’ll report back. :-)

Ancutza // Dec 4, 2009 at 11:24 am

Paris, je t’aime! I’ve been to Paris three times but it’s never enough, you brought my memories back with your inspiring images.

Ms. Adventures in Italy // Dec 4, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Thanks everyone! I’d love to hear which of the pictures resonated with each of you :)

anne // Dec 4, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Photos 1 and 2 brought back memories, reminds me of when I was there and meeting up with my friends for coffee or wine…!

Ariana from Chicago // Dec 5, 2009 at 4:30 am

Wonderful pictures. Took me back to my trip (12 yrs ago). That picture of the Champs – it’s really striking. Wow

Em from Ribollita Reboiled // Dec 7, 2009 at 5:45 pm

what gorgeous photos! Really lovely…the spirit of Paris. The one I connect with the most is the stroller b/c it reminds of me of our visit to Paris arriving at 11pm with a 1 year old trying to figure out how to get the stroller through the turnstile (it even had fiberglass doors up top!). The crisp foreground of the adults sorting something out with the blurred turnstiles is such a vivid image!

I hope you ate un crêpe au Nutella et bananes! mmm wonderful post :-)

Christopher // Dec 8, 2009 at 6:14 pm

very beautiful!!
    PS— Amazon is now selling Pocket Coffee! $10 a box

betty parker // Dec 9, 2009 at 4:28 am

Beautiful photos! Pictures involving people do mean more to me. The Champs photo was heart-wrenching.

Abi // Dec 11, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Lovely photos – especially the mulled wine ;)

Cenk // Dec 14, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Yes, please give us more!

dad // Dec 15, 2009 at 11:43 pm

Batmobile

Jennifer S // Dec 19, 2009 at 8:23 am

I walked by the very same Batmobile when I was in Paris over Thanksgiving week… How funny!

Camels & Chocolate // Dec 31, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Holy cow, woman, I am RAVENOUS after seeing those decadent photos. Need to figure out how to find me a macaron. STAT!

Ms. Adventures in Italy // Jan 2, 2010 at 9:14 am

@Kristin with all the travel you do, I’m sure you’ll be around some macarons! Paris, New York, etc.? Otherwise come on down and I’ll put aside a few of mine for you