Drinking a Guinness Beer in the Guinness Brewery Storehouse in Dublin, Ireland

May 25th, 2009 · Tags: Behind the Scenes · Discovering Food · Ireland · Travels Abroad

The Guiness Brewery Storehouse, or St. James’s Gate Brewery, is one of Dublin’s most popular attractions, and the home to Guinness!

I didn’t really do much preparation for my trip to Dublin since I was just planning on tagging along with my father, but the one request I made is he wait and go to the Storehouse with me. The one site I consulted before leaving recommended going early to the Storehouse, so we made our way there sometime after 9.30am.

Never too early for Guinness, is it?

Guinness Storehouse, Dublin, Ireland

One of the most interesting and difficult-to-photograph-attractively things about Guinness and the Storehouse is the 9000 year lease that was signed by Arthur Guinness in 1759 for £45 pounds per year. 9000 years! And actually, this year, in 2009, is the 250th anniversary of the signing, which means they have only 8750 years left. They better start thinking of negotiating strategies for the inevitable rent hike!

9000 Year Lease, Guinness Storehouse, Dublin, Ireland

This is supposed to be where the magic starts: roasted barley gives it that distinctive taste, along with the special yeast, part of which is kept in a safe so that they’ll always be able to make Guinness.

Roasted Barley, Guinness Storehouse, Dublin, Ireland

It’s not considered a true brewery tour because you don’t actually see the beer being brewed in front of you, but you can spy the various vats and containers through the windows, and you get some interesting information. Make sure you watch the video on how a cask/barrel is made – it’s fascinating.

I wasn’t sure what hops looked like, but now I do. And now so do you:

Hops, Guinness Storehouse, Dublin, Ireland

The advertising section of the Storehouse was really interesting, too – I love seeing how brands and messages evolve – and the packaging, too! Here are some old bottles of Guinness.

Old Guinness bottles, Guinness Storehouse, Dublin, Ireland

I have to be honest, the best part of the tour is the end when you get a freshly-poured Guinness (free as part of the admission cost!)  in their famous Gravity Bar at the very top of the Storehouse which gives you a fabulous 360-degree view of Dublin.

A view of Dublin from the Guinness Storehouse 360 Bar, Dublin, Ireland

Here’s some pints waiting for the second part of the famous “double pour” which helps keep that lovely thick creamy Guinness head from overflowing.

Guinness waiting for the double pour, Guinness Storehouse, Dublin, Ireland

Finally it’s ready. But it’s worth the wait!

A Guinness pint ready for a first sip, Guinness Storehouse, Dublin, Ireland

Can’t keep your hands off a freshly-poured pint!

Reaching for a Guinness, Guinness Storehouse, Dublin, Ireland

Good until the last drop. My dad will inevitably comment how I didn’t get his model release on this pic since we were talking about that while we were visiting. You’re a star, Dad!

Guinness is Good until the last drop, Guinness Storehouse, Dublin, Ireland

A neighborhood of Guinness pints together. By the time we left the Gravity Bar, it was quite crowded.

A neighborhood of Guinness, Guinness Storehouse, Dublin, Ireland

Note: side effects of enjoying one or several Guinness may include sitting on Trinity College lawns and watching cricket, people passing by, and becoming intrigued by your own shoe.

After Guinness, shoes become interesting, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland

If you make your way to the Guinness Storehouse, make sure to enter one of your photos in their monthly photo competition! And just in case you were wondering, the Guinness Book of World Records DID originate with the Guinness family.

Guinness: Yay or Nay?

Guinness Storehouse website

Regina // May 25, 2009 at 10:22 am

I took this tour 2 years ago – it was wonderful! Although my 2 year old threw an all-out fit on the floor of the top floor bar, that was not so nice. Nice blog, we’ll be following you from
    Rome!

erin :: the olive notes // May 25, 2009 at 3:02 pm

I took a tour around the city and so I just got to see the outside of the Guiness building…I would love to go and see inside of it one day though. The view looks worth it for sure (since I’m not a big fan of the beer, although I did try a mini glass with a shot of some sort of berry syrup that made the foam turn purple :) )

Elyse // May 25, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I adored the Guinness factory! It was one of my favorite places in Dublin. Your pics did such a fabulous job of capturing the experience, too!! My boyfriend is actually in Ireland right now, and he gets to go to the Guinness factory in just a few days! (He’s so lucky!)

Todd // May 26, 2009 at 1:22 am

Great site. And great pictures. Especially the food pics… sigh… it all looks so delicious… (drool…) I may be in love–Oh, wait, I meant I may be–a–a–a fan! Yeah. On facebook. A facebook fan. That’s right. That’s what I meant.

Keep up the good work. And thanks–er, grazie!

Nicole // May 26, 2009 at 9:27 am

Yay Guinness! Better get that model release from your dad that would really stink to have to pay talent on a realative! :)

Erin // May 26, 2009 at 10:19 am

This is definitely a tourist attraction I could get behind! Brew Tours are the best. I hope I get to visit this one someday. Although your great photos made me feel like I’ve already been there.

Clive Birnie // May 26, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Yay, Yay and thrice Yay! After all… Guinness is Good For You.

Fern Driscoll // May 26, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Thanks for the heads up on a great place to visit. Will try to take the tour in Sept….

Jay // May 26, 2009 at 7:15 pm

A beer entry, I can relate to that…

Mikeachim // May 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Fiddly-diddly-didle-dee, dat’s a grand post, to be sure.

I have to ask, though – you’re a Guinness drinker outside Ireland? So…is the myth true? That Guinness in Ireland is an entirely different kind of experience to that in the rest of the world

Dayre // May 31, 2009 at 3:00 am

Enjoy the nectar of the Celtic Gods. The closer you are to St. James gate, the sweeter the Guiness! Slainte!

Rachel @ boots in the oven // May 31, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Lovely shots of the brewery tour! I think the advertising part of the tour was my favorite, too, when we were there almost 2 years ago. Thanks for letting us all tag along – love the shot of your dad!

sassy // Jun 3, 2009 at 11:30 pm

My stomach as gurgling like crazy as I read this… mmm. I love Guinness, it’s like a meal and a beer rolled into one.

MyMelange // Jun 4, 2009 at 3:40 am

Oh, as the good Irish lass that I am- it would be YAY…all the WAY :) But, they are so filling, I can have just one.

Brent // Aug 3, 2009 at 6:07 pm

My wife and I will be visiting Dublin next week. We are both excited about the Storehouse. I enjoyed this read..had a good laugh about being intrigued by your own shoe. Can’t wait to have some pints in Ireland!