Make sure you get all the way to the bottom for a giveaway about your favorite cupcake and frosting flavors!
I take it for granted that everyone has a favorite type of cake. The kind they hope to see on their birthday, that they enjoy making themselves or wish someone would make for them for a special occasion. The kind of cake that you wish you could, but know you can’t, eat entirely by yourself.
I take it for granted, living in Italy, that everyone has a favorite type of cake that –I– grew up with. Light and fluffy yellow cake, or dark, moist chocolate cake covered with perhaps the most important part of the cake: the frosting.
But these types of (American) cakes don’t really exist here (they have tiramisu, so they’re not really missing out), but it’s something I still enjoy for birthdays. So when it was S’ birthday this month, I decided instead of making one big cake, I’d make 10 little cakes and decorate and frost them differently.
I agonized about the frosting. But it got me thinking: Is there a perfect frosting recipe? and What is the perfect cake / frosting combination?
I gathered up some of the best frosting recipes from bloggers and some food sites and divided them into categories: Chocolate: Ganache, Buttercream and other variations; Buttercream and Swiss Buttercream, Meringue, Marshmallow, Whipped Cream, Special Combinations and even Vegan Frosting!
Then I thought I’d ask you for your help in finding the perfect frosting recipe and cake – frosting combo…will you help me find it? All you have to do is leave a comment on this post. Scroll down to the bottom for information about the giveaway. I’ll be adding more recipes to this post as I find them or you send them to me!
Chocolate: Ganache, Buttercream and other Frosting Recipes
Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Besides layering chocolate bars directly onto your cake, chocolate frosting gives you so many ways to make it…chocolaty.
- The Best Chocolate Sheetcake Frosting from The Pioneer Woman
- Whipped Chocolate Ganache (for Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes) from Cannelle et Vanille
- Chocolate Frosting (for Yellow Cake) from eggbeater
- Chocolate Ganache Frosting (for Devil’s Food Cake) from David Lebovitz
- Swirled Chocolate Frosting (for Chestnut Cupcakes) from Tartelette
- Fudge Frosting from Chockylit
- Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting from Bakerella
- Chocolate Espresso Buttercream from Use Real Butter
- The Best Chocolate Buttercream from Joy the Baker
Buttercream & Swiss Buttercream Frosting Recipes
Probably the type that I’m most partial to, and (not-very-original) my mom’s is the best.
- (my own) Vanilla Buttercream (for Drunken Devil’s Food Espresso Cupcakes)
- Swiss Buttercream (Project Wedding Cake) from Smitten Kitchen
- My Favorite Vanilla Buttercream Recipe from My Sweet and Saucy
- Vanilla Buttercream (for Chocolate Pistachio Cake) from Use Real Butter
- Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosting (for Violet Macarons) from Tartelette
- Buttercream (for Perfect Party Cake) from Andrea’s Recipes
- Classic Buttercream Frosting from the Kitchn
- Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosting from the Cupcake Project
- Buttercream Frosting from Baking Bites
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes
By far the favorite it seems amongst the bloggers (what about you?), I am actually not a huge fan of cream cheese frosting, though maybe I’ll have to try all of these recipes to find one I truly enjoy.
- Cream Cheese Frosting from Simply Recipes
- Cream Cheese Frosting (for Red Velvet Cupcakes) from Pinch My Salt
- Cream Cheese Frosting (for Rhubarb Banana Cupcakes) from Tartelette
- Cream Cheese Frosting (for Carrot Cake) from Use Real Butter
- Cream Cheese Frosting (for Lavender Chiffon Cake) from Fresh from the Oven
- Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting from Simply Recipes
- Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting from 101 Cookbooks
- Maple-Cream Cheese Frosting (for Carrot Cake) from Smitten Kitchen
- Cream Cheese Frosting from Andrea’s Recipes
- Cream Cheese Frosting (for Mini Chocolate Cupcakes) from Baking Bites
- “Sprinkles” Cream Cheese Frosting from Alice Q. Foodie
- Cream Cheese Frosting (for Red Velvet Cupcakes) from Sassy Radish
Meringue Frosting Recipes
When I think of meringue, I usually think of pie, but there are some great meringue frosting recipes for cakes, too!
- Meringue Frosting (for Lime Tart Cupcakes) from Cupcake Bakeshop
- Swiss Meringue (for Lemon Mousseline Torte) from Use Real Butter
- Coffee Meringue (for Short Black Cupcakes) from Milk and Cookies
- Honey Meringue Frosting from Cupcake Project
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream (for Blueberry Jam Cake) from Joy the Baker
Marshmallow Frosting Recipes
Light, fluffy and sugary: frosting in marshmallow form? I am so there.
- Toasted Marshmallow Frosting from Coconut & Lime
- Marshmallow Frosting (for homemade Hostess Cake) from Smitten Kitchen
- Marshmallow Frosting (for Confetti Cupcakes) from Baking Bites
- Marshmallow Frosting (for Fluffernutter Cupcakes) from Su Good Sweets
- Marshmallow Chocolate Frosting from Canela and Comino
- Marshmallow Frosting from Culinary Conoctions by Peabody
- Marshmallow Frosting from Rachel Ray
- Marshmallow Frosting from Food & Wine
- Marshmallow Frosting from Martha Stewart
Whipped Cream Frosting Recipes
Most whipped cream recipes I found were infused with flavor or mixed with fresh fruit or other flavors.
- Whipped Cream Frosting (for Blueberry & Strawberry Cupcakes) from Making Banana Pancakes
- Whipped Cream Frosting from Cook Like Mad
Specialty Frosting Recipes
Not your traditional flavors, some of these combinations really caught my eye as something I’d like to try. Have another unusual combination you like?
- Maple Frosting (for Maple Bacon Cupcakes) from Vanilla Garlic
- Mint Buttercream for Chocolate Mint Cupcakes from Simply Recipes
- Self Frosting Cupcakes (Nutella) from Baking Bites
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting from Sunday Nite Dinner
- Matcha Swiss Meringue Buttercream (for Chocolate Matcha Earl Grey Cake) from Use Real Butter
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting from Alice Q. Foodie
- Maple Frosting for Pumpkin Cake from Karina’s Kitchen
- Chocolate Guinness and Whiskey Cupcakes with Baileys frosting from Sassy Radish
- Chocolate Oatmeal Cupcakes with Maple-Bacon Buttcream Frosting from Erin Cooks
Vegan Frosting Recipes
For something truly alternative – vegan frosting!
- Vegan Coconut Frosting from Elana’s Pantry
- Butter-Cream Frosting (Vegan, Diary-Free) from Go Dairy Free
- Vegan Chocolate Frosting from Elana’s Pantry
All you have to do is comment below and tell me your favorite cake-cupcake and frosting combination – I need both flavors! And please send this to friends and family – Stumble it, Digg, Delicious! I’ll accept your comments until midnight, Thursday, April 2nd and I’ll post a winner Friday morning (Italy time)!
You could win (note to winners: you won’t be able to choose colors or scents, I already have them in my possession):
- A Flip & Tumble reusable “24-7” shopping bag – I have been carrying one of these in my bag for over a year and I use it all the time. Love them!
- 3 Handmade natural soaps from Saponissimo.com made in Positano by a fellow expat in Italy
- 2 multipurpose microfibre screen-cleaning cloths from Sarah Smith – I’ve been using these for a few months, they sent me a few for others to try since they found me on Twitter.
- and I may be adding something else – check back!
Disclosure: the bag and soap in this giveaway were purchased with my own money, the cloths were provided to me by the manufacturer. I am not being compensated by any of these companies.