Hazelnut Macarons with Nutella and Spicy Nut Centers for World Nutella Day

February 5th, 2009 · Tags: Blog Event · Chocolate · Dessert · Discovering Food · Food · Nutella Day · Recipe

World Nutella Day 2009Happy World Nutella Day!!!! Today, February 5th is World Nutella Day!

For the 3rd year, we’re celebrating the chocolaty hazelnut spread that is Nutella! Back in early 2007 I was thinking about how there was no holiday to celebrate wonderful nutty Nutella. And World Nutella Day was born!

As your World Nutella co-host, just a reminder, you must email us with your information if you’d like to be included in the World Nutella Day round-up here and at Bleeding Espresso on February 9th.  If you’ve posted your tribute to Nutella today, be sure to let us know at nutelladay [at] nutelladay.com and read all the rules for participating at NutellaDay.com.

So I’ve been going a little crazy with macarons since I made it a cooking challenge in 2008. I started with Laduree Macarons and Finding the Perfect Macaron Recipe and then I made a few kinds of macarons myself: Chocolate Macarons Recipe, Colorful Cinnamon Easter Egg Macarons Recipe, Dark Mint Chocolate French Macarons Recipe

But for World Nutella Day, I wanted to change it up and spice it up at the same time. Thus, substituting hazelnuts for almonds to go with beloved Nutella, and to spice it up a bit, a spicy nut center!

Hazelnut Macarons with Nutella and Spicy Nut Centers for World Nutella Day

Hazelnut Macarons with Nutella and Spicy Nut Centers Recipe

A note about food coloring: Macarons are such interesting treats because of the colors involved! Tartelette suggests powdered food coloring, I’ve been using gel food coloring. If using powdered, you can add it to the sugar mix before adding it to the meringue. Otherwise, you shouldn’t add the gel/liquid food coloring until AFTER you’ve started to mix the dry mixture with the meringue. If you’re interested in finding natural food coloring alternatives, check India Tree’s Natural Decorating Sugars.

100 g whole skinned hazelnuts (or flour)
100g. egg whites (I suggest weighing above using a # of eggs, but about 3 eggs’ whites), aged 2-3 days at room temperature
200g. powdered sugar
4-5 T. white sugar
Food coloring

Filling

Spicy Nut and Nutella Center of Hazelnut Macarons for World Nutella Day

Nutella
Spicy Glazed Nuts
– follow David Lebovitz’ recipe – I used pistachios, peanuts and pumpkin seeds.

1. Remove any remaining skins and grind the hazelnuts as finely as possible. In a small container/bowl, whisk the powdered sugar together with the hazelnuts to blend well and break up lumps. If you have a large food processor, you can pulse them together a few times.
  2. In another, large mixing bowl, begin to (electronically) whisk the egg whites. After they start foaming, add the granulated sugar one tablespoon at a time and continue whipping until it gets thick and “like magma.”
  3. Fold the dry mix carefully (and slowly) into the meringue – I use a spatula – and add the food coloring, if desired, until fully mixed.
  4. Fill your piping bag and pipe the macarons out onto a baking sheet lined with a Silpat or regular parchment paper. Leave them to set for 30 – 60 minutes to form a skin.
  5. Preheat the oven to 150° C / 300F. Cook macarons 8-10 minutes, keeping a careful eye on them. After taking out of the oven, let cool completely before filling them.
  6. Put a dollop of Nutella on one half of the macaron, and 1-2 spicy nuts in the center before placing the other half on top.
  7. Store macarons in tupperware or closed container if not eaten immediately.

Happy Nutella Day!!! Make sure to send us your contributions to be included in the round-up!

Close-up of Hazelnut Macarons with Nutella and Spicy Nut Centers for World Nutella Day

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso // Feb 5, 2009 at 9:58 am

Oh just yum. LOVE the colors too :) Happy WND!!!!

joanne at frutto della passione // Feb 5, 2009 at 10:10 am

Those look amazing. Happy Nutella Day.

nyc/caribbean ragazza // Feb 5, 2009 at 12:20 pm

These look almost too pretty to eat. HND!

susan // Feb 5, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Those look delicious! I am so glad I found out about world nutella day just in time!

MyMelange // Feb 5, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Oh my, how delicious. Perfect pop-able treats Sara!

Happy WND!!!

Patricia Scarpin // Feb 5, 2009 at 12:57 pm

These are so precious! I love the color combo, not to mention the delicious flavors…

Linda // Feb 5, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Does it get any better than this? So beautiful to look at and taste too.

Judith in Umbria // Feb 5, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Beautiful!
    The homemade nutella is not my recipe. My recipe is homemade money to buy the ciocco-nocciole spread from the frantoio up there.

Meeta // Feb 5, 2009 at 1:43 pm

I am loving this! Nutella macarons are decadent by themselves but theat crunchy nut center is the best surprise!

erin :: the olive notes // Feb 5, 2009 at 2:26 pm

of course you made macarons! You’re like the macaron queen now :) love it! I’m still a little nervous to try these finicky things…but this one may be a good place to start :)

Marla // Feb 5, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Another fab event and another fab entry. Nice job on both counts Sara!

Sophie // Feb 5, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Your macarons look incredible appetizing, yum yum,… Well done!!

Laura // Feb 5, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Macarons are my absolute favorite, despite the fact that I can’t find any truly great ones here in New York. So happy to have this recipe…I’m taking matters into my own hands now!

Liliana // Feb 5, 2009 at 4:52 pm

I haven’t had the pleasure of tasting a macaron yet! I wish I could just reach into my screen and grab one of yours. They look divine!

cinzia // Feb 5, 2009 at 9:35 pm

incredible macaroons!
    a huge nutellous kiss!

cinzia.

Jamie // Feb 5, 2009 at 10:09 pm

yummy! beautiful! i love it!

Susan at Sticky,Gooey,Creamy,Chewy // Feb 5, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Your macarons are just beautiful! What a lovely color! A fitting tribute to WND. Someday, I must bite the bullet and make some of these little gems.

elra // Feb 6, 2009 at 1:48 am

I thought about making macaron, but I knew that I didn’t have the time. I just found out about the event this morning when I visited David Lebouvitz’s blog. Then I had to go exercise until noon. Came home home and quickly made my dessert. Glad that I finally able to join.

I really like the vibrant color of your “Macarons”, this is worth trying!
    Cheers,
    Elra

Flo Bretzel // Feb 6, 2009 at 7:45 am

Nutella day, what a wonderful day!

Kathy // Feb 6, 2009 at 7:51 am

I know it’s Nutella Day, but my attention is on the beauty of your macarons….look at the foot on those things! They are perfect (being a french-trained pastry chef, believe me, I can be extremely critical of macarons).

Lauraniechoco // Feb 6, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Mmmmm ! Looks so good ! Do you send them to France ? ;-)

anna l'americana // Feb 7, 2009 at 3:28 am

It never ceases to amaze me that you turn these out as easily as a batch of Toll House cookies! Oh yum.

I’m – fuschia? – with envy!

cherie // Feb 9, 2009 at 4:45 am

I’m sooo happy we have a world Nutella day. We should have a Macaron day, as well. These ones look fantastic!

Kim // Feb 9, 2009 at 10:55 am

Oh my, I think I’m in love. Must bookmark. Must bookmark.

Ms. Adventures in Italy // Feb 10, 2009 at 9:28 pm

I hope you all try to make macarons, too – read my post about finding the perfect macaron recipe and you’ll see a ton of hints, recipes and experiences :)