Dark Mint Chocolate French Macarons Recipe

January 12th, 2009 · Tags: Chocolate · Dessert · Food · Recipe

Dark Mint Chocolate Ganache French Macarons

I promised you a recipe for the Dark Mint Chocolate French Macarons that I made for the The Best Holiday Cookie Swap Ever. If you’re going to make these, I would recommend making them the day before or the morning of your event so that you have time to do all the various steps and give the ganache time to set up before serving.

Dark Mint Chocolate French Macarons Recipe

Dark Mint Chocolate Ganache French Macarons Close-up

100g. egg whites (I suggest weighing above using a # of eggs), aged 2-3 days at room temperature
100g. almonds, finely ground
200g. powdered sugar
4-5 T. white sugar
Green food coloring

1. Grind the almonds as finely as possible. In a small container/bowl, whisk the powdered sugar together with the almonds to blend well and break up lumps. If you have a large food processor, you can pulse them together.
  2. In another, large mixing bowl, begin to (electronically) whisk the egg whites. After they start foaming, add the granulated sugar one tablespoon at a time and continue whipping until it gets thick and “like magma.”
  3. Fold the dry mix carefully (and slowly) into the meringue – I used a spatula – and add the food coloring, if desired, until fully mixed.
  4. Fill your piping bag and pipe the macarons out onto a baking sheet lined with a Silpat or regular parchment paper. Leave them to set for 30 – 60 minutes to form a skin.
  5. Preheat the oven to 150-8° C / 300F. Cook macarons 10-15 minutes, keeping a careful eye on them. After taking out of the oven, let cool completely before filling them.

Mint Dark Chocolate Ganache

Inspiration from Epicurious Raspberry Chocolate Ganache

3 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate / cioccolato fondente, finely chopped
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1/16 teaspoon peppermint extract

1. Melt chocolate pieces with cream in a bain marie/double boiler or in a plate over barely simmering water. When smooth, remove from heat.
  2. Add butter and peppermint extract, until mixed completely. Let stand until cooled and slightly thickened.
  3. Pipe or use a small spoon to put the filling between the flat halves of the macarons.

MyMelange // Jan 12, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Mmmmm. Those look delish – and very perfectly French! Love to eat them- don’t know if I am brave enough to make them from scratch though.

Rita // Jan 12, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Wow! That looks great! I am very competitive and every Christmas our neighborhood has a cookie exchange and I am always looking for a great cookie recipe. Thank you for sharing! Have a great day! Ciao, Rita

nyc/caribbean ragazza // Jan 12, 2009 at 1:59 pm

these cookies look too pretty to eat.

anne // Jan 12, 2009 at 4:03 pm

They look scrummy, but I am yet to taste a Macaron..really must find somewhere to try one..

ciaochowlinda // Jan 13, 2009 at 4:00 am

These look wickedly good and I will definitely try them. It’s like being in Paris.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) // Jan 13, 2009 at 4:05 am

I love the pairing of chocolate and mint. Next time, save a few of these macarons for me?

sadate // Jan 13, 2009 at 4:50 pm

they sell the macarons in Paul patisserie in Central London. They are fantastic….

Mrs Ergül // Jan 14, 2009 at 1:04 am

Very gorgeous macarons! I wish I have the courage to make these French treats!

Foodie Froggy // Jan 14, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Wow, they are perfect ! And, as a French, I know what I am talking about ! ;-))

Tanya // Oct 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Help!! I tried making Macrons for the very first time today. The batter was grainy, as it seemed my food processor would only take the grinding of the almonds so far. While baking, I was able to accomplish the feet on the bottom of the Macarons, but the batter did not settle down on the top, so my Macarons are slightly tilted. Any tips??