Slow Food’s Salone del Gusto 2008 in Torino – Turin

October 28th, 2008 · Tags: Behind the Scenes · Discovering Food · Food · Italy · Piemonte

It only happens every 2 years: Il Salone del Gusto in Turin.

This year I was able to go to the 7th edition of the Salone del Gusto, organized by the Slow Food Organization and the Piedmont Regional Authority. This year it took place at Lingotto, just feet away from Eataly, so we made a stop there, too.

Some artful presentation at Salone del Gusto in Turin

Click through to see more pictures from Salone del Gusto in Torino after the jump.

Hand-rolling cigars

Hand-rolling cigars at Salone del Gusto in Turin

Fichi d’India / Cactus pears similar to the ones I love and enjoy in Puglia – so colorful!

Cactus Pears / Fichi d'India at Salone del Gusto in Turin

Who can identify this animal? Leave your guess in the comments!

Cured meat at Salone del Gusto in Turin

Rolling out pasta continuously!

Rolling out pasta by hand at Salone del Gusto in Turin

Getting approval from her co-pasta roller – thumbs up! (Ok, not really: in Italy they use the thumb to start counting, so she’s probably indicating 1 of something in a story, but I liked my version better)

Italian woman approves of pasta-making methods at Salone del Gusto in Turin

Of course, it wouldn’t be a food convention without a little gelato. This was from the Gelato dei Presidi di Slow Food. It won’t have its own stop on the Tour del Gelato, but the Pistachio from Bronte gelato was excellent!

Gelato at Salone del Gusto in Turin

There were a lot of interesting, small producers like the makers of this pecorino cheese wrapped in walnut tree leaves and aged. It was almost as good as their cheese aged with wine cultures.

Pecorino cheese wrapped in Walnut Leaves at Salone del Gusto in Turin

Lots of tasting, lots of samples (though some were more abundant than others). Sometimes you needed to find a quiet moment to reflect and plan the next path (and samples) you’d be following.

Tasting sparkling wine at Salone del Gusto in Turin

Corks decorate the ceiling, a view you might have been entranced by after a few tastings. Like me.

Corks decorating the ceiling at Salone del Gusto in Turin

nyc/caribbean ragazza // Oct 28, 2008 at 9:18 am

This looks like my kind of event. :)

Torino has been getting a lot of press lately.

Did you see the recent article on NYTimes.com?

Lisa (Homesick Texan) // Oct 28, 2008 at 12:33 pm

I went 2 years ago and had such a blast–hope to make it again someday.

Joan Nova // Oct 28, 2008 at 1:21 pm

You lucky gal. Looks like a fabulous event. Proscuitto?

Mom // Oct 28, 2008 at 1:26 pm

Is the photo of a pig???? This is my kind of event.

Lelia // Oct 28, 2008 at 4:47 pm

Great photos and commentary. I love pistachio gelato. Great blog.

Cheers.

Anne // Oct 28, 2008 at 8:27 pm

How lucky you were, great photos :-)

Eric // Oct 28, 2008 at 8:55 pm

Torino is a beautiful city! Very different from the rest of Italy….best of Italy and Europe together! :)

I am a bit biased having studied there….thanks for sharing and living in the midwest am so envious of your experiences!

David // Oct 29, 2008 at 7:30 am

Am still recovering & nursing my bruises! And it’s going to be a long, long time before I can eat any cured pork products again. I definitely got my fill..

R khooks // Oct 29, 2008 at 8:26 am

mmmmmmmm yum yum. All looks super delish! I am very jealous. I have a friend who also went I’m hoping she brought back some goodies for me. :-)

erin :: the olive notes // Oct 29, 2008 at 12:35 pm

GORGEOUS photos!!!! (As always) :) everything looks wonderful.

Fern Driscoll // Oct 29, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Wow, Sara… were we at the same Salone del Gusto?? You found things we never laid eyes on (though evidently we did stumble on the same gelato vendor – yum!), and your pictures are gorgeous. We think maybe that’s a pig’s foot, too – hind end of a suckling pig maybe?

k // Oct 29, 2008 at 10:18 pm

hahah… that thumbs up thing made me crack up! as for that animal… what the… looks like a pigs hoof… 200euro?!!

janie // Oct 30, 2008 at 3:01 pm

I’m so incredibly jealous-looks like it was fabulous. I’m dying to go to Eataly.

Jeni // Oct 31, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Another jealous reader. Wish I could be there, but your pictures and comments help ease the pain of not being there. Grazie.

Ms. Adventures in Italy // Nov 1, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Yes, I can’t believe the price but I’m sure it’s probably cheaper than buying it piece by piece. :)

@nyc – I didn’t see the article – I’ll have to look for it