World Nutella Day – February 5th, 2008!

January 21st, 2008 · Tags: Blog Event · Italy · Nutella Day

Reminder: Comment on my Introduction to Italian Candy – Caramelle post to win free candy! You have until Friday!

Who can remember the first time they were allowed to eat chocolate for breakfast?

Nutella is more than just a “chocolaty hazelnut spread,” it is a way of life. From childhood memories to oozing hot crepes, from breakfasts on vacation, to free-spooning sessions on the couch, Nutella is present in the memories of many of the children and grown-up children in the world.

Last year we gave it its own holiday, and this year we’re continuing the tradition.

Sara from Ms. Adventures in Italy and Michelle from Bleeding Espresso (and Shelley from At Home in Rome, in spirit) solemnly declare February 5th “World Nutella Day,” 2008 – a day to celebrate, to get creative with, and most importantly, to EAT Nutella.

big2008.jpg

How to participate:

1. Make a recipe using Nutella. Take a picture of yourself eating Nutella with a BIG spoon. Make art with Nutella. Wax poetic about Nutella. Re-live your first experience eating Nutella. Have a Nutella-eating contest or a Nutella party!
  2. Take pictures, upload a video, and blog about it from now until February 4th, 2008.
  3. Email nutelladay [at] nutelladay [dot] com. with Subject: Nutella Day Entry and include your name, your site name, and your permalink/URL by February 4th, 2008. You can also attach one 100×100pixel photo of your dish-etc. to be included in the roundup. We’ll be posting the round-up on the 6th of February.
  4. On your blog, please include the Nutella Day 2008 badge and/or a link pointing to this post so others can participate, too!
  5. Tag/categorize your post with “Nutella Day.”

World Nutella Day 2008

• Flickr: Add your photos to the Nutella Day Flickr pool
  • YouTube: Add your Nutella-inspired video to the Nutella Day You Tube station

For some inspiration on Nutella recipes, read:

We look forward to having you participate! What will you think of next?

steamy kitchen // Jan 21, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Cool! Can we also make it so that World Nutella Day requires a day off from work so we can just bake all day?

anna l'americana // Jan 21, 2008 at 2:41 pm

OH MY GOD! Nutella! The Perfect Food. Many many many memories, and yes, for breakfast since I was 5! My favorite way to eat Nutella? Slathered on a rosetta (merenda anyone?)! Just like that. Plain, simple. Why? Probably because you cannot for love or money get a rosetta in the US. Does anyone know why that is? You can get a version of almost any Italian bread (good or bad, but a version), except rosette!!!! I also miss that in Italy they sold Nutella in promotional glasses of all sizes so that after you finished the Nutella you had beer stein, water glass, wine glass, cookie jar, etc. All we get here are those insipid little plastic jars…..I had a full set of every promotional jar they ever sold (why o why didn’t I bring those back to the States with me – back then I just thought of them as crappy promotional items not worth packing and shipping. I could kick myself now!)

nyc/caribbean ragazza // Jan 21, 2008 at 2:51 pm

Wow a year has gone by already? Can’t wait to see all the recipes.

miriam // Jan 21, 2008 at 3:28 pm

I seccond that! Another year already and so little nutella has passed these lips. I’m ready for more!

teeth bleaching // Jan 21, 2008 at 6:50 pm

I love Nutella!! Especially Nutella cookies. They are chocolate, but not so much so it bothers my hypoglycemia.

Colleen in South Africa // Jan 21, 2008 at 9:29 pm

World Nutella DAY???? AARRGGHH!! My teeth are already starting to ache because they’re sensing that they will be getting an overload of that lusciously gooey sexy stuff. Gotta get me some, GOTTA get me some!!!!! How sad, I cant participate though cos I dont got no blog. But I shall have fun participating here at home with some of the yummo recipes that I shall find, and I look forward to seeing what everyone else sends in for the roundup :)

rowena // Jan 22, 2008 at 7:27 am

World Nutella Day already? At first I thought I followed the link to an old post and realized soon after that a whole dang YEAR flew by!! I’m gettin’ old and oooh, my lower abs are aching from the recent hike.

RYC: Tripe has got to be an acquired taste thing. Never woulda tried it had I been in the states but now… Those prepacked trays at the market look mighty tempting. ;-)

finnyknits // Jan 23, 2008 at 12:36 am

Um, yes, I still have that 3 kilo bathtub of Nutella that Shelley gave me in 06. Needs getting rid of. Perhaps I bake?

Jennifer // Jan 24, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Oh, yum! I participated last year, too. Of course, I love Nutella so much that I like to practice for this day throughout the year. ;-)

mansi // Jan 30, 2008 at 11:19 pm

This sounds like such a fun event, and the perfect excuse to bring my favorite Nutella home:)

Bellini Valli // Feb 4, 2008 at 3:41 am

Nutella is a food group of its’ own. We even have Nutella when we go camping or to the cottage. It makes wonderful S’mores sandwiched between 2 graham crackers or digestive biscuits with a melted marshmallow centre.

Peter // Feb 4, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Greetings everyone…I’m in on this…I look forward to the gooey fun!

sinead // Feb 5, 2008 at 10:09 pm

what a brilliant idea! i used to work with a bunch of girlz and we were all nutella addicts. so much so that i made nutella cupcakes for them and they were simply DIVINE! they did however, need to come with a warning on the side – FOR SERIOUS NUTELLA ADDICTS ONLY. in my experience I have found that people either love the stuff or hate it…I’m definitely a lover!

inguaribile // Dec 3, 2008 at 2:01 pm

When is nutella day in 2009?