What I’m Craving: Fried Artichoke Chips from La Boqueria Market, Barcelona

November 30th, 2011 · Tags: Food · Spain · Travels Abroad

These crispy, hot bites with a tender finish and that sweet aftertaste artichoke hearts leave in your mouth when you eat them alone.

These particular fried artichoke chips, or in Spanish chips de alcachofas fritas, (even more fun, in Catalan: xips de carxofes fregides) we devoured (and then savored when we ordered them a second time) when I was in Barcelona a few weeks ago at El Quim at La Boqueria Market. More on that soon.

That’s what I’m craving. What about you?

Fried Artichoke Chips eaten at La Boqueria Market, Barcelona

Keane // Nov 30, 2011 at 7:38 pm

That looks delicious. I only gazed upon them when I was there. What I want most is the huge 30€ bowl of seafood…

Ms. Adventures in Italy // Nov 30, 2011 at 7:42 pm

@Keane – did you eat anywhere in the market? I hadn’t seen it last time I visited Barcelona and this time I was totally blow away by everything…all the cava might have helped, too :)

C T // Nov 30, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Or a similar variation based on Cardi Gobbi, perhaps dredged through chickpea flour… yum.

Nuts about food // Dec 1, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Mmmmh…let’s say pretty much the same thing. With a nice glass of Cava, like you mentioned.

Jacob A // Dec 12, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I just found you after getting the idea (what took me so long?) to Google “melanzane sott’olio.” Took me to your post. Then I came here to find the artichokes. Wow! We grow wild carciofe and cook the stems. Not sure how to spell “gardune,” but there ya have it. LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!

Chez Loulou // Dec 12, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I’m now craving the garlicky razor clams I had at Bar Pinotxo in la Boqueria. And the patatas bravas too. *sigh*

LeeLee // Dec 13, 2011 at 10:08 am

Well, now I’m craving this. Looks delicious.

Suzanne // Jul 22, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Anyone have a recipe for fried artichoke chips?

Shelley Smith // Feb 28, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Hi! There are some great fried artichoke recipes online.
    I crave them, too. We had them at Taller Bar in Barcelona along with the best squid we ever ate. Going back in the Fall and will wait in line to graze at the Bouqueria. We got ham, bread cheese and strawberries for a picnic! We were too hungry to wait for a table. Our loss! Next time, I’ll spend a whole day there!