A little “taste” of Prosciutto di Parma

September 9th, 2009 · Tags: Behind the Scenes · Discovering Food · Food · Italy

I spent Saturday with Jessica from Italy Travel Guide in and around Parma for the annual Prosciutto di Parma festival. Here’s a little taste of what we saw:

Endless hall of Prosciutto di Parma, Italy

More tomorrow!

Nan Mc. // Sep 9, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Will be visiting myself later this month, with a little Balsamico and Reggiano thrown in for good measure.

What a treat!

Melanie // Sep 9, 2009 at 4:35 pm

As much as I enjoy prosciutto, that pic kinda grosses me out. :-P

Ms. Adventures in Italy // Sep 9, 2009 at 4:39 pm

@Melanie – it’s funny, but I’m not that big on prosciutto but being in the factory definitely increased my appreciation for how it’s made.

Peter @ italyMONDO! // Sep 10, 2009 at 5:38 am

Looks like you guys had fun! I’m looking forward to the next post :-D

Laura // Sep 10, 2009 at 7:19 am

Mmmm… I saw the Prosciutto di Parma festival on tv over the weekend and it looked like a tasty event. Made me wish Amalfi wasn’t so far from Parma! (Or maybe that’s a good thing…) Look forward to hearing about your day!

nyc/caribbean ragazza // Sep 10, 2009 at 8:47 am

Oh how I love prosciutto! Can’t wait to see the rest.

Bellini Valli // Sep 10, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Look at all of that in one place:D

The Italian Dish // Sep 10, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Spectacular! Makes my mouth water.

Jessica, WhyGo Italy // Sep 11, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Oh, lookee, it’s the House of Ham! I think I may have to redecorate my house to look like that. I’m sure some of the more devout members of my Jewish family would just *love* that. Heh…

Barbara // Sep 11, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Mmm. I’ve been having this on-going debate with friends on how long prosciutto holds… especially without refrigeration. I want to take loads of it back with me to America. Any ideas on how long before it went bad? (Or does that just give you indigestion?)

Jennifer S // Sep 13, 2009 at 1:57 pm

This looks like FUN to me! I’d love to see this.

The Food Hunter // Sep 13, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Look forwarded to reading more.

Karen // Sep 14, 2009 at 5:37 am

Barbara:

I wouldn’t try bringing any prosciutto back to the US with you — customs will confiscate it. At least they did when I declared ours in Chicago! A friend of ours (a wily Milanese) told me that my mistake was my honesty — if I’d tucked it well within my suitcase and fibbed, I’d have been all right. But his theory was proved wrong the next time he tried to smuggle some speck back into the States after a trip home — they swiped that too. My advice is to stick with cheese and limoncello ; )

Francesco // Feb 4, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Hi, I’m your giude into the factory. Very beautiful pics and very good text!! I’m proud you like the tour.