Broccoli, Onion and Pine Nut No-Egg Quiche Recipe

March 18th, 2008 · Tags: Entree · Food · Holiday · Italy · Recipe · Work

With a surprise stuffed cheese crust.

I love using eggs in savoury tarts, like Pumpkin Savoury Tart or Savoury Herb Tart, but this time I wanted to focus on the vegetables and include a little surprise for later.

I like making these open-faced so that you can fit as much as you want in them and they hold their shape while cooking.

Broccoli, Onion and Pine Nut No-Egg Quiche Recipe

Broccoli, Onion and Pine Nut No-Egg Quiche Recipe with a Surprise Stuffed Cheese Crust

I pre-toasted my pine nuts and some of them did get a bit too dark, so you could put them raw directly before putting it into the oven.

2 medium-sized onions, sliced
1/2 cup / 100g pine nuts
1 head broccoli
Tenero cheese, but you could use ricotta or goat cheese (even mixed with a few spices!) as a substitute.
Puff pastry

1. Cut the broccoli into medium-sized chunks and sauté in a pan with some olive oil. In another pan, sauté the sliced onions and olive oil over medium heat, slowly cooking until they caramelize.
  2. While the broccoli is still firm, remove from heat. Chop up further with a knife if any pieces are too large.
  3. On a baking tray or glass baking pan, center the puff pastry and start to layer the ingredients with the broccoli on bottom, then the onions, and top off with the pine nuts. Before closing the pastry, insert some chunks of cheese around the bottom edge of the broccoli. Fold pastry up over mixture, leaving a large space open in the middle.
  4. Cook for 10-15 minutes at 220C/420F, watching it closely so it doesn’t burn.

Broccoli, Onion and Pine Nut No-Egg Quiche Innards

yasmina // Mar 18, 2008 at 10:20 am

Wow that looks fantastic! Will try this! Thanks!

jen of a2eatwrite // Mar 18, 2008 at 11:14 am

This looks absolutely wonderful!

Alice Twain // Mar 18, 2008 at 11:28 am

I will not be able to use broccoli (for a while all green leaves and cavolacee are prohibited at home), but I will certainly make this with another vegetable!

Patricia Scarpin // Mar 18, 2008 at 12:32 pm

That is a wonderful idea, Sara. I love broccoli!

LyB // Mar 18, 2008 at 2:51 pm

Mmmm, that looks so delicious! Such a great idea too, I’m sure any vegetable/cheese combination would be very good.

nyc/caribbean ragazza // Mar 18, 2008 at 3:04 pm

When do you find time to cook all this amazing food?

anna l'americana // Mar 18, 2008 at 5:25 pm

All my currently favorite ingredients in one food dish…How convenient! One question, do you pre-bake the puff pastry at all or just fill it raw? Hurry, because your photos have turned me into a broccoli, onion & pine nut crazed eggless quiche eater…..and I must make (and eat) this NOW!

Cherrye // Mar 19, 2008 at 8:52 am

That looks DELISH! I wonder if I could make it?? I am tempted….

Susan from Food Blogga // Mar 20, 2008 at 12:05 am

That looks superb, Shelly. I recently made a savory galette that reminds me of this. Anything with broccoli and cheese just sings to me.

Stinni // Mar 20, 2008 at 5:52 am

The pictures you take of your food are amazing. This is yet another one of your recipes I must save to try myself.

Jessica // Mar 20, 2008 at 11:53 pm

That looks so good! I love the picture!

lorraine@italianfoodies // Mar 22, 2008 at 11:42 pm

Mmmmm looks absolutely delicious!!

jamie // Jan 12, 2011 at 3:23 am

this was sooooooooooo tastey!! i could eat the whole thing myself…. actually i am afraid that just might happen. i used a sweet onion and boccacinni(sp?) cheese because it was what i had on hand. the onion was amazing but the cheese flavourless…next time which will be soon, i might try swiss or some feta, might actually be really good in here!

Janette // Jun 13, 2011 at 11:59 pm

This looks delish! Since I am allergic to eggs and soy (no tofu), I have not had quiche in a very long time and miss it. This might be my alternative! I can’t wait to make this with my 3yr old little chef. He will eat almost anything if he helps make it. Thank you!